Job Title: Entrepreneurial Leadership – Burundi
Reports to: Head of School.
Location: Kigutu, Burundi
KIA is an ambitious initiative of Village Health Works (VHW) an NGO founded in 2005 in Burundi
KIA is a secondary boarding school created to educate a new generation of ethical and entrepreneurial young leaders in Burundi.
The students are at the core of their own transformative education at KIA. The school recruits, identifies and selects the most promising students throughout all of Burundi. Those selected have demonstrated not only success academically but have also shown leadership and commitment to improving their schools and their communities.
KIA brings together this cohort of students from a diverse range of backgrounds for a powerful educational and leadership journey over four years. Competencies and skills such as critical thinking, and character development are intentionally folded into a sustained high level of academic achievement. KIA helps these young students to reinvent what is possible in a progressive and intentional sequence throughout their four years of secondary school and their further careers.
One of KIA’s missions is to serve as a model school to help reinforce and enrich the Burundian educational system. In doing so it also prepares the KIA graduates for success in universities within the East African community, within central Africa and Internationally
Possess a passion for pushing creative young minds to think resourcefully, critically, and ethically. This individual will also work to build the scaffolding and accountability measures necessary for student-generated ideas to come to fruition. Our ideal candidate will embody entrepreneurship in the way they approach teaching and learning.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Teach the Entrepreneurial Leadership course with the support of international consultants and EL curriculum developers
• Account for all the logistical needs for the course
• Lead the student’s enterprise program
• Design EL learning prototypes and supervise the groups of students’ enterprises
• Prepare and defend the EL budgetary needs
• Create a space for curiosity and motivation where the students are encouraged to connect with successful Burundian/African entrepreneurial leaders
• Coordinate series of guest speaker series aligned with the content taught and the course’s objectives
• Monitoring student performance and adjusting teaching strategies and techniques for improved content delivery.
• Establishing classroom, laboratory and field trip rules.
• Setting up exams, assessments, and experiments in accordance with curriculum requirements and standards.
• Communicating with students, parents and other relevant parties.
• Building rapport with students.
• Background in teaching social studies
• Experience teaching Entrepreneurship and Marketing
• Proven track record teaching
• Interpersonal and leadership skills underpinned by KIA values
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrated outstanding behavioral management capability
• Leadership experience
• Experience with teaching Marketing and fluency in French are a plus
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a CV and a thoughtful cover letter outlining why this position is of interest, exactly how your experience matches the qualifications stated and what you believe differentiates you from other candidates. Additionally, please provide the salary range you are seeking. Submissions without cover letters and salary requirements will not be considered.
Submissions should be in English and sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include
“Entrepreneurial Leadership - Burundi” in the subject line of your email.
Village Health Works considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status.