Special Vacancy Notice
Open to National Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : HR Assistant
Duty Station : Bujumbura, Burundi
Classification : General Service- G5
Vacancy number : SVN_ 2022_BI10_05 HR Assistant
Type of Appointment : SST Special Short-Term contract - Six months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 09 February 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works
closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting
humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates
are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are
considered as first-tier candidates. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Organizational Context and Scope:
The Human Resources Department undertakes a support function in the operational and
programming activities of the IOM Burundi Office. The department’s functional activities include
implementing human resources management policies to support the Mission’s strategy and the
organization's structure through the recruitment, retention, evaluation and professional development
of competent and motivated staff, maintaining conditions of service, benefits and entitlements and
ensuring adherence to the established Unified Staff Regulations and Rules and related policy
instructions and guidelines.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Human
Resources Officer (HRO), the incumbent’s responsibilities will include the following
1. In Coordination with the HRO, Head of unit/department, independently handle recruitment
process for all national positions.
2. Share Post Descriptions (PD) and organizational chart with PAC for PD rating.
3. Ensure proper recording and accuracy of entries related to PAs data’s
additions/deductions/advances, overtime, hiring, contract extension, annual step increase,
promotions, change in position, change in departments, change in personnel data, etc.
entitlement / benefit (Medical Service Plan, UNJSPF, Family allowances) and ensure and
monitor granting of benefits for staff dependents (MPS, Child/spouse allowance).
4. Ensure and update data integrity and process HR related actions related to Staff Evaluation
System, Personnel Administration and Time Management for national staff.
5. Coordinate with PAC HIM for EoD, PME, Exit clearance and MSP admission for national
staff and their dependents.
6. In coordination with HRO and the Head of Unit/Department, ensure timely renewal of all
types of contracts and personnel actions in PRISM for national staff including Non staff,
7. Prepare and submit separation process to PAC for clearance.
8. Follow up for the timely completion of the SES in line with Organizational deadlines.
9. As per the organization’s rules, maintain personnel filing for all staff as well as file
10. Monitor and update staff’s leave records with accuracy such as timekeeping (Annual Leave,
certified/uncertified sick leave, maternity/paternity leave, Check computation of overtime) for
11. Track, maintain and update staff data/statistics
12. Support in the preparation and delivery of trainings for national staff.
13. Support in the payroll processing, Simulation, Calculation, PY Posting.
14. In coordination with Finance Unit, process RFP for staff/non staff.
15. Provide induction orientation on entitlements, the policies, and procedures of the organization.
16. Maintain visa expiration sheet for international staff and ensure for timely renewal.
17. In Coordination with PAC prepare timely non-renewal or non-extension notices for national
staff when required.
18. Provide Travel Authorization numbers when required.
19. Prepare letters, such as letter for visa, entry authorization, letter for bank account.
20. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Education and Experience:
• University degree or Higher in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field from
an accredited academic institution with 3 years of relevant professional experience; or
• High School/Certificate in the above fields with 5 years of relevant professional experience.
• Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills with proven ability to work effectively and
harmoniously with a team of colleagues.
• Prior experience in usage of HR Information Systems or Database required knowledge of SAP an
• Solid computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office Packages (Office, excel, Power point,
outlook) internet and E-mail.
• Able to work independently under pressure, able to maintain accuracy, paying attention to details,
meeting deadlines and working with minimal supervision.
• Fluency in English and French is required (oral and written).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages
diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with
organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct
• Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and
exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared
goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action
oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate
• Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for
own action and delegated work.
• Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication and explains complex
matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. Both internal and external candidates can
apply for this position. For the purposes of the vacant post, internal applicants are considered first-rank
Taking up the post is conditioned by the certification that the candidate is medically fit.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org latest 09 February
2022, 4:30 P.M.
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not
more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to the Chief of Mission,
International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line “SVN_ 2022_BI10_05 HR Assistant”
All applications should include a functional e-mail address, mobile numbers, copies of diploma and any other
certificate, copy of national ID card and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Note: only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NO FEE: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the
recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with
information on applicants’ bank details.
Posting period: From 26.01.2022 to 09.02.2022