Special Vacancy Notice
Open to National Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Procurement Assistant
Duty Station : Bujumbura, Burundi
Classification : General Service- G5
Vacancy number : SVN_ 2022_BI10_12 Procurement Assistant
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term contract - 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 01 April 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works
closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting
humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates
are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are
considered as first-tier candidates. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Organizational Context and Scope:
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, and the direct supervision of the Procurement &
Logistics Officer, the incumbent is responsible for handling procurement activities for the IOM Burundi
mission. In particular, the incumbent will be responsible for the following tasks:
1. Verify purchase request authorization, vendor sourcing and selection, ordering,
inspection/evaluation, and receipts.
2. Establish LTA (Long term Agreements) for commonly required works, services and commodities.
3. Assist in transactional procurement including tendering processes, contract award, determining
payment conditions and performance evaluation of suppliers.
4. Advise program staff on procurement lead times and purchasing schedules, notify on quality and
5. Update Vendor Information Sheets (VIS) regularly and elaborate supplier selection.
6. Follow-up with suppliers and ensure timely delivery of requested supplies and materials, keeping
the relevant project staff informed on the status of the delivery.
7. Prepare the reports and financial analysis with estimation delivery of large purchases.
8. Liaise with different units and sub offices regarding procurement and service requests and
requirements, in order to consolidate overall procurement needs of the program
9. As part of the procurement system, issue requests for proposals to reliable suppliers, evaluate bids
in close consultation with Manila GPSU as necessary and make recommendations for finalization
10. Follow-up on purchase orders status and keep clients informed of estimated time of deliver or any
changes that may affect or modify the pre-determined delivery conditions; ensure all expected
merchandise is received in accordance with PO specifications, and that all goods are in good condition
11. Create/edit Purchase Requests and/or Purchase Orders in PRISM, make sure that they are released
and approved in a timely manner.
12. Monitor MHAC stocks with the help of the stock keeper at MHAC and be the main focal point
for all MHAC medical related purchases.
13. Create and maintain physical and electronic records of all documentation through the procurement
cycle in accordance with IOM instructions and procedures; retrieve, present and analyses
information from the system and prepare periodic reports highlighting issues that require attention.
14. Perform other related duties as may be assigned by Program Manager/Supervisor
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Purchasing and Supplies Management or a combination of relevant training and
practical experience with three (3) years minimum experience with progressively responsible professional
work in managing procurement and logistics operations.
• High School Diploma in Purchasing and Supplies Management or a combination of relevant training and
practical experience with five (5) years minimum experience with progressively responsible professional
work in managing procurement and logistics operations
• Demonstrated ability of working effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied culture and
professional backgrounds in order to achieve desired goals.
• Analytical, communication, interpersonal and advocacy skills, sensitive to and awareness of the local
development, good knowledge of computer management and applications, experience in using
SAP/PRISM system is desirable. Good knowledge of the geography and culture of Burundi.
• Fluency in English and French is required (oral and written).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages
diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with
organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct
• Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and
exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals
and optimize results.
• Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action
oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate
• Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for
own action and delegated work.
• Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication and explains complex
matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
IOM is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. Both internal and external candidates can
apply for this position. For the purposes of the vacant post, internal applicants are considered first-rank
applicants. The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, background
check and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to email@example.com latest 01 April 2022,
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more
than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to the Chief of Mission, International
Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line “SVN_ 2022_BI10_12 Procurement Assistant”
All applications should include a functional e-mail address, mobile numbers, copies of diploma and any other
certificate, copy of national ID card and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Note: only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NO FEE: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the
recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with
information on applicants’ bank details.
Posting period: From 18.03.2022 to 01.04.2022
!!!!!! “SVN_ 2022_BI10_05 HR Assistant” is cancelled !!!!!!