Extension of Special Vacancy Notice
Open to National Internal and External Candidates
||Nurse (Migration Health)
||: General Service- G5
||: SVN_ 2022_BI10_03 Nurse
|Type of Appointment
||: SST Special Short-Term contract - Six months
|Estimated Start Date
||: As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 June 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Organizational Context and Scope:
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) and Senior Migration Health Nurse, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Bujumbura, Burundi.
- Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:a. Medical examinations,
- Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity;
- Blood, urine or sputum collection as required.
c. Laboratory testing;
d. TB management;
e. Treatment and referrals;
f. Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
g. Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
h. Other technical areas as may be required
- Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
- The migration health assessment process ; and,
- Treatments and
- Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking;
- Accurate and thorough Bio-data collection;
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process; and,
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and
- Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s check lists and SOP’s and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC
- Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or previously designated location.
- Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable.
- Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education, prevention and management as appropriate.
- Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary.
- Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
- Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings and preparations as necessary.
- Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
- Collect statistical information and share with the Senior Migration Health Nurse or CMHO as per preset and agreed upon format.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Nursing Degree with a minimum of three years relevant clinical experience and a valid license to practice nursing in Burundi
- Excellent technical skills, including in
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
- Fluency in
- Knowledge of French and Kirundi and Swahili
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion wherever
- Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed mannerand exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication and explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational
IOM is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. Both internal and external candidates can apply for this position. For the purposes of the vacant post, internal applicants are considered first-rank applicants.
Taking up the post is conditioned by the certification that the candidate is medically fit.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to email@example.com latest 16June 2022, 4:30 P.M.
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to the Chief of Mission, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line “SVN_ 2022_BI10_03 Nurse”
All applications should include a functional e-mail address, mobile numbers, copies of diploma and any other certificate, copy of national ID card and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Note: only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NO FEE: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.
Posting period: From 09.06.2022 to 16.06.2022